Thursday, July 01, 2010

The Games at Kuantan

One thing that I love about my employer is, there are many staff activities that all staff can participate.  Like the Regional Games that happens once in 2 years.  It’s like the inter-Group Olympics and everybody anticipates the arrival of the Games.

This time around, the Games was held in Kuantan and hosted by our Port division.  Like the previous installation at Sandakan, I was one of the official (but unpaid) photographer for the event.  But unlike in Sandakan, I now have more mean gears AND a zoom lens that goes till 200mm with VR.  Very useful for sports.  And also, a flashgun. 

Here are a small selection of photos from the Games that I like.  Mostly shot at F8 ISO 400 (except the indoor games at F5.6 ISO 1600 + flash i thk was 1/16)

1.  Golf

DSC_5375a 

DSC_5379b

I personally love this sand bunker shot.  Just secukup rasa of man, sand, ball and the club, and on time to freeze the sand.

DSC_5445a

Some artistic try of golf without man.

2.  Volleyball

Volleyball is (and has always been) by far, the most watched and happening game in the Games.  Scores of supporters from various divisions would flock by the courts and cheer for their teams.

DSC_5819a

I  love this shot though the camera did not focus on where I intended it to be.  But nevertheless, still an achievement for me.

DSC_5862a

Barricade blockers.

DSC_5934a

Speedy Spiker. I was shooting at 1/250 and this guy was faster than my shutter speed?? Foosh.  DOnt know what these Sabahans eat.  Seriously, they are mighty strong.  Beats us all Peninsula people.

DSC_5999a

Supporters.  Not sponsored by Carlsberg tho.

3.  Pool

Shooting anything indoors is damn difficult.  Low lights, my camera is not capable of reaching that high ISO without decent amount of noise.

DSC_6413a

Portrait of a snooker player.  After several tries with many angles, it finally clicked on me that all the while I had been doing it wrong.  It is not impossible to get a professional looking portrait of the player provided you know where  to place the camera.  Ah, another acheivement for me.

DSC_6423a

Intensity.  Snooker is a bit like golf, needs concentration and strategising.

4.  Netball

Honestly, I very the benci netball.  I can’t play and I am bad with team games.  Maybe I am not brutal enough to whack and snatch and fight for balls.  Sigh.

DSC_6552a

Since I hate netball, not much caption to write here, except that I shot this while dispensing my duty as a photographer. 

5.  Touch Rugby

Ooh la la.  Me likey watch rugby, live or on TV.  Though in the Games, we only had touch rugby, but still it was an interesting game to watch.  Even though I was not on duty to shoot rugby, but nevertheless I still took some because it is just such as waste not to have any pictures of this beautiful game!

DSC_6555a

Lucky the camera focus was spot on the right person, this time. 

So thats all for now about the Games.  I have over a thousand shots of the Games, but due to space, I only put up these few that I really like.  The rest, hmm, I guess there’s no where you can see it lah.  Unless you have my company portal =)

No comments: